I should be writing
I want to report on the Mundial, and I want to finish the next draft of my proposal. I'm not really doing much of either, though. (You know this about the Mundial; you can take my word for it about the proposal.) I was feeling sort of deflated before the tourney, and now I think I'm dealing with let-down. Meh.
Some random thoughts:
1. The Saturday of the Mundial, when I won one and lost one (to Gabrielle Garcia, the big woman) in the open and then won two to make it to Sunday's final for my weight class, was the one-year anniversary of the day I received my brown belt. So that was kind of cool.
2. Lots of people have told me in the past week that I am their hero. This is flattering, obviously, but also a bit disconcerting. I don't know what I do/am to make that the case. It made me think about who my heroes are and why. And then I think about "real" heroes and how they seem lonely.
3. My dad noticed that my calendar was still on May and went to change it. But then he thought better of it and said, "Let's wait till after the tournament is over." Reminded me that when he played football and lacrosse and rowed in college, he had his own rituals, and I guess he didn't want to jinx it. (I managed that all on my own. Meh.)
4. In the same vein, my parents kick ass. They were amazing troopers for the entire weekend. They seemed to enjoy the tournament, and they even bothered to learn how to pronounce "Rickson" and the like properly. They got to meet some of my friends, who now understand why I am the way I am.
5. I started teaching a conditioning class at New Breed. The first one was Monday, the second one yesterday. And the next one is tomorrow. I think people are "enjoying" it, which is to say that they are miserable during the workouts, which is as it should be, and then they realize they are addicted and come back for more.
6. My friend Traver is opening a CrossFit affiliate-slash-acupuncture clinic in Santa Barbara. Trav is the one who cured my alopecia. Check him out at http://www.crossfitpacificcoast.com. Congrats, Traver! Can't wait to visit you next month!
7. My friends Rick and Anahi are opening their own MMA academy, called East Coast MMA, in New Jersey (YAY!). I don't know the URL yet, but I will post it soon. Congrats to Rick and Anahi! I'll look forward to visiting the next time I'm on the right coast.